ALL GLORY TO SREE GAUR AND NITYANANDA
Summary:- In this chapter are treated - the precedent appearance of the associated counterparts and eternal associates of God-head, the then condition of Nabadvipa, Advaita Prabhu's Krishna worship with water and Tulasi, the appearance of Sri Nityananda on the 13th day of the bright fortnight of the month of Magh, the hymn of the gods while the Lord was in the mother’s womb, the advent of Sri Gaur-chandra ushered by Sri-Krishna-Kirtan on the full moon day of the month of Falgun and the attendant rejoicings.
The establishment of the Dharma of the Kali Age, viz., the Nama-Sankirtan, of Sri Hari, was the cause of the Incarnation of the Supreme Lord with all His paraphernalia.At that time Nabadvipa was a most prosperous town and a great centre of learning but devoid of godliness. On the advent of the Supreme Lord Nabadvipa became the centre of the propaganda of the eternal religion whither gathered together a large number of the most eminent devotees born in different parts of the country. These facts have been clearly stated in this short chapter.
- All glory to Mahaprabhu Gaursundar,
Glory to the son of Jagannath, the Great Lord of Lords
- Glory to the life Life of Nityananda-Gadadhar,
All glory to the refuge of Advaita and other devotees.
- All glory to Gauranga with the association of kindred of His devotees!
By listening to the story of Chaitanya, devotion to God is gained.
- I make my obeisance again at the feet of the Lord;
May the Incarnation of Gaur-chandra manifest itself on my tongue.
- Al glory to the Ocean of holy pity, Gaur-chandra,
All glory to Nityananda, embodiment of the holy service of God!
- The two Brothers and Their devotees are the unknown Truth,
Even They out of mercy make the Truth well-manifest.
- In Brahma and other beings the Truth manifests itself by the grace of Krishna,
As all Scriptures - the Vedas and the Bhagabat - sing.
- By whom of yore the heart of Brahma was made reminiscent of the power of creation and by whose direction the goddess of speech.
Who declares the worship of Sri Krishna, was born from the mouth of Brahma, - may the greatestof Rishis be kind to me!
- Brahma was born of old from navel-lotus of Vishnu.
Yet lacked the power of sight;
- Whereupon as he besought the Lord with all His heart,
The Supreme Lord Himself out of mercy appeared before his view.
- Then, by the grace of Krishna, the goddess of speech manifested herself,
And then had he knowledge of the Supreme story of all Incarnations.
- Even such is the Incarnation of Krishna-chandra, most inscrutable,
Without his grace who has the power to know?
- Incomprehensible, unapproachable, is the lila of Krishna-Incarnation,
As Brahma himself has declared in the Bhagabat -
- “Who in the three worlds knows Thy lila, O Lord? Thou art the Great,
the Container of every blessing, All-soul, Lord of all revelation,
Lo, where or why or in what manner or when, dost Thou ever play?
Manifesting even Thy own incomprehensible power.
- Why does Krishnachandra incarnate Himself
Who has power to know this Truth?
- Yet what has been said in the holy Bhagabat, Geeta,
Touching cause of His Incarnation let me repeat -
- ”Verily, O Bharata, whenever religion decays,
And ungodliness grows apace, then I incarnate Myself.
- ”For the protection of sadhus, the destruction of evil-doers.
The establishment of religion, I am Born in every Age."
- Whenever religion is checked
And impiety waxes strong,
- In order to protect the godly and to destroy the wicked,
Brahma with others supplicate for His Incarnation at the feet of the Lord.
- Whereupon the Lord, to establish the Divine dispensation for the Age.
Becomes visible in this world with His associates and attendants
- Chanting of the Name of Hari is the Divine dispensation for the Kali Age
For the establishment of which is the Incarnation of the mighty Son of Sachi.
- Hence says the Bhagabat that for the manifestation of Kirtan the Truth of all truths,
Gaurachandra became Incarnate -
- ”In the aforesaid way, O king, they worship God in the Dvarpara Age;
Now listen how by the ritual of tantras they worship Him in the Kali Age.
- "Those possessed of spiritual discernment, by the method of adoration replete
Worship the chanter of Krishna of yellow complexion with His associated
counterparts, attendants, instruments and companions."
- In the Kali Age there is no other religion than chanting the name of Hari,
All this was manifested by Chaitanya Who is Narayan Himself.
- In the Kali Age in order to foster the religion of Sankirtan
The Lord Himself became Incarnate with all His attendants,
- By the command of the Lord, first of all His attendants,
We're born in the midst of mortal men.
- Even Ananta, Siva, Birinchi, the Rishis -
And the associates and kin of all Incarnations -
- All were born as devotees;
Krishna alone knows who was sprung from whom.
- Some were born in Nabadvipa, some in Chatigram,
Some in Rahr, some again in Odra, Srihatta and to the West.
- In various places the devotees were born,
And came to Nabadvipa where they were joined together.
- In the region of Navadwipa itself were born most of the Vaishnavas,
Though some of the best beloved servants of the Lord appeared at some other places.
- Sribash Pandit and Sriram Pandit,
Godly Sri Chandrasekhar worshipped of the three worlds,
- Healer of the disease of mortality Sri Murari -
All these Vaishnavas were born in Srihatta.
- The foremost of the Vaishnavas Pundarik Bidyanidhi
The beloved of Chaitanya Vasudeva Dutta -
- All these appeared in Chatigram,
Haridas was born at Buddhan.
- In the land of Rahr is the village of Ekchaka
Where appeared the Divine Nityananda;-
- Hadai pandit was the prince of pure Brahmans
Whom the original and universal father pretended to save as begetter.
- The ocean of mercy, bestower of devotion to God, the stay of all holy Vaishnavas,
Nityananda Rama thus manifested himself in Rahr.
- In secret the gods uttered jubilant shouts,
In secret they showered celestial flowers;
- And from that auspicious day, over all the regions of Rahr.
All blesssings appeared fast to multiply.
- In Tirhut appeared Paramananda Puri, -
In whose company jointly at Nilachal sported Sri Chaitanya.
- There be many holy places on the bank of the Ganges,
Why then does a Vaishnava prefer impure lands for his birth?
- Even the Lord Himself appeared on the bank of the Ganges;
Why did He will the birth of His associates afar from the sacred steam?
- In diverse lands that lie out of the track of the Ganges and the name of Hari.
In regions never trod upon by the Pandavas,
- To favour the jivas of those places,
Krishna contrived the appearance of great devotees.
- The Incarnation of Chaitanya is for the deliverance of the whole world, -
This the Lord Himself by His own holy mouth has promised.
- The Lord saves all by making His own Vaishnavas,
To be born in impure lands and unholy families.
- Whatever the land or the family in which a Vaishnava makes his appearance -
His power saves all for a million leagues.
- The places where the Vaishnavas resort
Attain the sanctity of the holiest tirthas.
- Wherefore in every region Sri Chaitanya Narayana
Caused His devotees to appear.
- In all different lands the devotees were born,
Thence came up to Nabadvipa where all were joined together.
- In Nabadvipa the Lord Himself was to appear,
Therefore all His devotees gathered there.
- There is no village in the three worlds like Nabadvipa
Where the Supreme Lord Chaitanya became Incarnate.
- Aware of the Advent of the Lord, Bidhata,
With an abundance of every blessing, had filled the place.
- Who can describe the glories of Nabadvipa?
Millions bathed at every ghat of the Ganges.
- The city swarmed with millions of people of every age and caste,
All highly skilled by the grace of Sarasvati.
- All boasted of their mastery of the shastras,
Even children pitted themselves against the Professors.
- From all different countries people flocked to Nabadvipa;
Learning could be relished only by studying at Nabadvipa!
- There was no limit to the gathering of students;-
The number of Professors, - nobody could tell.
- All people lived in great happiness by the kind glance of Rama;-
But wholly absorbed in worldly pursuits all their time uselessly passed away.
- The whole world was void of devotion to Krishna,
The evils of later Kali appeared even at this early stage.
- People know nothing of religion and duty;-
They kept up whole nights over songs of Mangalchandi,
- Or, worshipped Bishahari with boastful pomp,
Or, squandered their fortunes away in making dolls!
- They wasted their wealth on the marriage of sons and daughters.
In such vanities the time of everyone was wholly spent.
- Even the Bhattacharyyas, Chakraverties, Misras,
Missed utterly the meaning of the Scriptures;
- And for teaching the Shastras they earned
The reward of certain perdition for themselves and their hearers.
- They did not praise the kirtan of Krishna, the Divine Dispensation of the Age,
They blamed everything that they praised.
- There were those that practised austerities and renunciation
But even their mouths never uttered the Name of Hari.
- Perchance at their bath, the very best
Uttered the Names of 'Govinda' and 'Pundarikaksha'.
- There were Professors who taught their pupils the Geeta and the Bhagabatam,
But even their tongues never expatiated devotion to God!
- Finding all world bewitched by Vishnu's Illusory Power,
The devotees were moved with great grief.
- 'How will all these jivas be delivered!
The world is drowned in coarse pleasures!
- Being implored no one takes the Name of Krishna!
Everyone ever talks of His learning and rank!
- And so the Bhagabatas practiced devotion all by themselves,
Worshipping Krishna, bathing in the Ganges, discoursing Krishna.
- All joining together they prayed with blessed word -
'Soon, O Krishnachandra, vouchsafe Thy Power to all'.
- In this same Nabadvipa dwelt the greatest of the Vaishnavas,
Named Advaita-Acharyya, praised in all worlds,
- The most eminent teacher of knowledge, devotion and renunciation;
Equal to Sankara in expatiated devotion to Krishna
- Who excelled in interpreting all Scripture, of the three worlds,
And taught from every part that 'devotion to the Feet of Krishna alone is true'.
- With stalk of tulasi immersing in water from the Ganges,
Incessantly he worshipped Krishna with high zeal.
- And ever with a mighty voice, pregnant with the power of Krishna inspiration,
He spake, and the sound of his voice, piercing the universe, reverberated in Baikuntha.
- Love's appealing voice reached the Ears of Lord Krishna,
And overcome by devotion the Lord Himself appeared.
- Therefore is Advaita the foremost of the Vaishnavas,
His devotional attachment to Krishna merits universal praise.
- Advaita lived thus in Nadia,
Grieved at the sight of the people so void of devotion.
- And all the world was mad with the taste of material pursuits,
And Krishna worship and devotion to Krishna, was realized by none.
- Some worshipped the goddess Basuli with a great variety of offerings,
Some worshipped demons with meat and wine.
- In the midst of this perennial orgy of dance and song, music and tumultuous gaiety,
Only the most blessed Name of Krishna was never heard by anybody.
- The gods have no joy in festivities from which Krishna is excluded,
Advaita most of all felt sick at heart.
- By nature Advaita was ever kind of heart -
Being moved to pity he moved his thoughts to the deliverance of jivas -
- “If my Lord Himself becomes Incarnate
Then all these jivas would be saved!
- “Then would I merit my boastful name of ‘Advaitha-Singha’,
If I could show to all here the Lord of Baikuntha.”
- "Bringing here the Lord of Baikuntha seeing Him face to face,
Shall dance and sing, delivering all jivas!"
- Making this resolve, with this single purpose,
Advaita constantly worshipped Sri Krishna's Holy Feet.
- 'Advaita is the Cause of the Incarnation of Chaitanya',
This the Lord Himself has repeatedly declared.
- In Nabadvipa also dwelt Pandit Sribasa,
In whose house Chaitanya displayed His Hari sankirtan.
- The four brothers sang Krishna Name at all time,
Worshipped Krishna and bathed in the Ganges three times a day.
- And many other Vaishnavas lived disguised in Nadia,
Born previously by God's command.
- Sri Chandrasekhar, Jagadish, Gopinatha, Sriman, Murari,
Sri Gaduda, Gangadas.
- To name every one singly would swell the bulk of the book,
In the narrative I shall take the name I know.
- All of them were diligent in the practice of religion, all were open hearted,
No one knew anything else than devotion to Krishna.
- All behaved to one another as kin and friends of all.
No one was aware of his own appearance in this world.
- Finding the whole world void of devotion to Vishnu
All were pained in their inmost hearts;
- No one was willing to listen to Krishna discourse,
The devotees chanted His kirtan by themselves.
- They met together at the house of Advaita for the period of a few dandas,
When they were relieved of all their griefs by Krishna-talk.
- The devotees saw that the world was one blighted waste,
There was no place to converse, so they cried in their grief,
- All the Vaishnavas combined, even Advaita himself,
Failed to persuade even a single being to understand the Truth!
- Smitten with despair Advaita began to fast,
And all the Vaishnavas sent forth sighs and lamentations.
- 'What is the dance for Krishna? Why is His kirtan chanted?
Who is a Vaishnava? Why is he called such? What is Sankirtan?'
- The people knew nothing of these in their hankering for sons and riches;
And all the pashandis jointly scoffed at the Vaishnavas!
- The four Sribasa brothers in their own house,
At nightfall, sang aloud the Name of Hari.
- Hearing this the pashandis said "Woe betide to us;
This Brahman will ruin the village!
- "The Yavana King is very violent, if these doings
Ever reach his ears Nadia is doomed!"
- Said others, - "Let us pull down his house
And cast into the river this Brahman and his house.
- "We must kill this Brahmin for the good of the village
Or, else the Yavanas will devour all of us!"
- In this manner talked all of the pashandis,
The Bhagabat as heard this and shed tears crying 'Krishna'
- But Advaita blazed up with wrath,
And, listless that his clothes fell off, thus spoke to all the Vaishnavas -
- "Listen, Sri Nibasa, Gangadas, Suklambar -
I shall cause Krishna Himself to become visible to all eyes;
- "Krishna Himself appearing in this world will deliver all,
The Lord joining you will Himself expand devotion to Krishna.
- If I fail in this, then will I put forth from this body
Four arms and taking up the disc
- "Decapitate all the pashandis! -
So shall it be if Krishna be my Lord and I, His servant."
- In this strain ever spake Advaita,
And with this resolve worshipped Krishna's Holy Feet.
- And all the devotees with a singleness of heart
Amidst tears worshipped the Lotus feet of Krishna.
- The Bhagabatas roamed all over Nadia
And heard nowhere any discourse of devotional worship.
- Some for grief thought of giving up their bodies,
Some sighed and fell to crying "Krishna";
- No one's food tasted in his mouth,
Everyone was cast into deep grief by seeing the godless ways of the world.
- The devotees now renounced all enjoyment;
And the Supreme Lord Himself prepared to be Incarnate.
(To be continued)